January 28, 2009

I Finally Got One

It's that time of year when farmers catch up on things non-farm, so I decided to finally get this blog up and running. I have often wanted to put more on the Double K Farms website than simply the photos that I try to update every couple of weeks but didn't want to re-vamp the entire site to fit a blog. So, following in the accomplished footsteps of a Dear Friend across the pond who writes a lovely, funny, sometimes touching blog, Picture of a Duck, and also in those of my daughter, Juju, in Nantes, France, this year who chronicles her adventures for the Chicago Examiner, I hereby join their ranks and begin my blog about life on our farm. May my blog be at least half as good as theirs!

It has been a turning point in my life and the life of my family to own and operate a farm. We bought our farm near Clarinda, in southwestern Iowa, in the spring of 2006. For the first year, we spent most of our time building cabins and outbuildings on weekends and in the summer. The second year, we had an organic corn crop to sell and some veggies for the family. The third year, we had a failed wheat crop and a somewhat successful CSA (Community Supported Agriculture, a local food co-op) in which we fed about ten families for the season (May to October). This year, our fourth, we will again try for a wheat crop (looking good so far) and forego the CSA in favor of selling at Tomato-Tomato, Omaha's Indoor Farmers' Market! So, in the words of Jason Mraz, "we win some and we learn some". The draw of the farm is powerful for me and my husband. We love the connection to the land, the sounds of nature, the loveliness of the neighbors, the rhythms of the seasons, the taste of food cooked on the campfire, the beauty of the stars at night, the attraction of pseudo-self-sustainability, and the simplicity of life.

So, that catches you up on the progress at the farm. I'm glad I've finally gotten a



For those who haven't yet gotten this old joke...it's a round to it. I've finally gotten around to it. :)

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read more!

    And no I didn't get the "a round TO IT" right away :( but thanks for clarifying that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/29/2009

    Beautiful blog - it's so professional looking. I love the colors and the writing - pseudo-self-sustainability, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1/29/2009

    This is great. I'm looking forward to telling my wife about the farm. She is allergic to some of the treatments that are put on the foods that we buy at the grocery stores.
    Bon chance pour cette annee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the great, encouraging comments! You can all blame yourselves for my option to continue posting!

    ReplyDelete