June 23, 2009

Always Listen to Your Mother

Joined by our four wonderful girls, we enjoy life on the farm as often as we can.

I must come clean.

Even though this sentence can be found in the About Me part of this blog, it is not entirely true. Most weekends, we are joined by our two younger daughters -- Maddie, 11 and Maya, 8 -- over whom we still hold some sway, which is tenuous at best. (As a friend/therapist reminded us recently, our job as parents was pretty much done when they were 4 or 5 years old.)

The older two girls -- Julie, 20 and Amelia, 18 -- are off on their own now and can't be bothered with this organic farming experiment that the old folks are on.

Therein lies their mistake! (Bwah-ha-ha)

A recent case in point:

Julie, our 20-year-old, recently called me to tell me that she was being sent to a trade show in Chicago as part of her new job. She called me as she was on her way to the show. She was panicking. She felt out of her element and at a loss, lacking in background. This is the young woman who has traveled the globe, commands the respect of her peers and colleagues at Loyola University, and can talk her way out of just about any situation -- in two languages! But she never really wanted to pay attention when the subject was organic farming.

I pause to take a moment to revel in the satisfaction that rarely comes with motherhood.

Her new job, you may ask?

Representative for the the Agricultural and Fisheries Division of the Quebec Delegation in Chicago.

The trade show she was attending?

The All Things Organic international trade show.

Can you say karmic justice?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/23/2009

    Dearest darlingest Momsee*,

    While you may be correct in your mentioning that I was lacking in expertise, what you unfairly construct in your article is the illusion that I was not aware of this situation. It was I, in fact, who approached YOU in saying that I should have paid more attention and been more supportive of your organic endeavors. I would appreciate an asterix/index section to illustrate my own recognition of this "karmic justice" of which you write.

    Cordially,

    The daughter who always has, and who most often does, listen to her mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/23/2009

    *that's a "Wicked" reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Julesee,

    I'm sorry, but I don't see the unfairly constructed "illusion that you were not aware of this situation". I mentioned that YOU called ME panicking, out of your element and all that. It seemed pretty clear to me that you were aware of things.

    Besides, I thought you'd enjoy the "imitation is the highest form of flattery" use of the karmic idea. I tip my hat to you on that one!

    Glad you listen to your mother...you could do worse!

    Love you, Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete