October 18, 2010

It's All How You Look At It

When I was ten years old and in for an annual school physical, a nice, attentive, Japanese doctor in Seattle (where my family lived at the time) noticed a murmur when listening to my heart.

It turned out that I had a hole about the size of a half dollar coin that was making my heart pump three times harder than normal. If nothing had been done about it, they said that I would probably not live to see my 20th birthday.

The only pediatric heart surgeon in the country in 1971, Dr. Savage, happened to be a neighbor and happened to practice in Seattle and operated on me. It cost my parents the $50/month in group health insurance that they were already paying for the family.

Had it not been for this harmonic convergence in the cosmos, here is what I would have missed:

-- graduating from college

-- being a spy in Washington D.C., my first "real" job

-- spending a year in France, where I ate well, learned a lot, and made the acquaintance of my dearest, oldest friend, Jayne

-- teaching English to so many wonderful, interesting students from around the world in Europe and the US

-- the welcoming into the world of my four, beautiful girls who are turning out to be amazing women

-- enjoying marriage to a good and loving man

-- bringing new life to an old farm and enjoying the fruits of my labors

-- coming to realize that with age comes peace, wisdom, and happiness

So, it is with absolutely no embarrassment whatsoever that I admit that I have reached the half century mark...two and a half times what I was initially allotted.

With a little luck, I may get another 50.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful story Lizzie and we are absolutely blessed to have you in our lives.

    You have supported me, comforted me, encouraged me and entertained me for over 25 years. Long may it continue, my dearest friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, a tear-jerker for me this time! I love you so much and how grateful I am that your heart is healthy. Now get that finger better!! I love you, Mama. Thanks again for the beautiful care package I got on YOUR birthday. I am using my Halloween pencils today. :) I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete