May 12, 2009

Nice Doing Business With You

I must begin this entry with a shout out to Akin's Building Center of Clarinda, Iowa.

Halla!

(I'd put up link to them, but they don't see the need for a website. It probably wouldn't bring them any more business than they already have.)

As you may have read in this space, we've been building a barn on our land. We got the roof on a couple of weeks ago and it was time to order the walls. We shopped around and found that our local (Clarinda) hardware store had the best deal, so we ordered from them, by phone, one day last week.

They said they could deliver the panels of metal and skylight plastic panels (they even had them cut to our specs for no extra charge). I told them we'd be at the farm on Saturday and could they deliver it all then? (They were very upfront with us that the delivery charge would be $12.50. I thought we could stomach that and gave them the green light.) 'Round about 11am on Saturday morning, there was a knock on our cabin door. It was the guys from Akin's with our walls.

They brought the panels, corners, and screws (which we hadn't ordered, but which they knew we would need). Andre helped them unload the materials and we contemplated the next phase of building the barn. (The goal is to make it more or less waterproof so that we can install a bed so that Andre can finally get a decent nap!)


I don't usually share personal, financial information, but, in this case, I must tell you that the total for the wall panels, et al, came to over $1,500. The reason this is significant is because all of the preceding happened without any money changing hands. We hadn't been in to Akin's to pay for anything that we had ordered and yet, somehow, it all came! I guess they knew we were good for it.

We went in later that day to settle up.

It was in no way out of the ordinary for the folks at Akin's.

God bless 'em!

4 comments:

  1. Your barn is pretty! Told Andre I'd love to set up some horse stalls in there. The skylights on the side are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horse stalls would be great! Yes, the skylights are nice. Our neighbor, Marlin, and I strong-armed Andre into them. It's just too dark otherwise.

    Yes, I think we will make some horse stalls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/13/2009

    I grew up in Clarinda and smiled when I read this. A couple of years ago, I went back there (from Seattle) to visit, to host a birthday party for my uncle. I ordered the cake from the local grocery store, then asked if they could deliver it to the hall. "Whew, well, that would be a $2 delivery charge!" I said -- as you did -- that I thought we could stomach that.
    There are some things about a small town that are THE BEST! And Clarinda might be *above average.*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, anonymous, for your comment! Yes, I have to agree that Clarinda is above average. (P.S. I grew up in Seattle! Loved it, too!) Liz

    ReplyDelete