July 15, 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Our good friends, Jayne, (Liz's dear friend from ages ago), J.P. and Tiddler (Jayne's ducklings) are arriving tomorrow from Merry Old England for their annual visit to the Big "O" (Omaha) and to our farm in Iowa where Jayne and I plan to sit on resin garden chairs in the pool and visit for as long as we can stand it. Given the Brits' mad-cow scare some years back which resulted in a few years with no beef in the country, we also plan to eat lots of good ol' midwestern meat, some of it cooked over the open fire at the farm.

Yum.

So, in anticipation of their visit, I thought we should tidy up a bit.

With the help of my ducklings, I took all the seedling trays and shelves to the basement where I should have put them in, oh, say, April (when I was done with them). I also put the peat moss and seed-starting dirt in the compost bin. I hung the Girl Scouts' painting (from May) on the wall instead of leaving it where it had been -- in front of the hearth. I vacuumed. I pickled cucumbers and made pesto, i.e., I cleaned out the fridge. I swept. I did dishes.

Then, today, I asked the ducklings to get me the sheets and pillow cases from their and the guest's beds.

Maya, my nine-year-old, after seeing this flurry of activity all week, finally asked:

"So, Mom, does it take someone coming from overseas for us to clean the house?"

Having sworn to myself years ago to always be as honest as possible with my children, I answered,

"Well, yes, I suppose it does."

Here is an ancient photo of the trinity of friends in our apartment in Paris in 1984 -- from left to right: Sarah (age 21), Liz (age 24), and Jayne (age 21). It was a great year!

5 comments:

  1. Gotta love Maya. Don't forget the floating beer holders for the pool too. Great post. The Little Ducks and I can't wait to see you. I love that pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, and if Jayne wants to see the garage, I may even put that car back together so we can clean up the garage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming from the UK Jayne is. Clean house you now have. -Yoda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drink from a sippy cup, sippy cup, sippy cup
    I drink from a sippy cup
    'Cause I'm a big girl now

    - Charlie Waffles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayne, I have the floating beer holders in hand! Andre, I'm sure Jayne can't wait to see the garage!

    ReplyDelete